As some of you know, I’ve been with my boyfriend for over a year and a half now. In my mind (and to a lot of my family and friends) this is absolutely insane, as I’ve never been in a relationship for more then like 2 months. I’ve learnt so much about myself and about life in general since being with Gary. I’ve matured…a lot. But just because I’ve matured, it doesn’t mean I’ve become more boring. I’ve just realised that I need to think more about my future now.
But hands down the biggest thing I’ve learnt about being in a long term relationship, is it’s the little things in a relationship that matter so much. I’ve created a little list of things you can do to show how much you care about your other half. But it doesn’t have to be your other half! It can be your mum, your dad, your best friend, a sibling…you get the picture!
- Make them breakfast in bed (or like me, if you can’t even make toast, go out and get some and bring it home)
- Pick up their favourite snack
- One of the things I do a lot for Gary, is buy him a crate of his favourite beer when the football is on or if he’s off the following day.
- Tidy up
- Have a mandatory ‘date night’. This is great for us now, since we’ve been together a while. Means we make sure we definitely do something like go the cinema or go for a nice meal every 2 weeks or something.
- Leave little notes. I do this more for my mum. I’ve leave her a little note or drop her a text wishing her a good day and that I love her.
- Let them pick what to watch on TV or film wise.
- Remind them about how much they mean to you
Some of these, yes, people may say is a little corny but trust me, they are appreciated. You don’t have to be all over each other and super romantic to let your other half know you love them.
Do you have any little things you do to let your other half or someone special know you love them? Comment below!